3 February 2010

The blond, the fat and the hungry

The web is overflowing with comments that stir Afridi's dinner and the retardation of the blond protozoa into one pot and juxtapose them, obviously falling prey to the suggestion that these things are comparable for some reason because they happened in the same match and are shown in one video clip together.

Let's draw a line here.

The running shrinkbrain hasn't been punished hard enough. Our current finance minister sits in a wheelchair because of a shitbird like him. Latif could be in hospital or dead. Finding this incident "funny" and moaning about the life-long ban is inappropriate and thoughtless. Please guys get to reason. Security is obviously and visibly not trained well enough, it speaks for itself that Wiggum was the first to reach the attacker, while his slender colleagues were even further behind, although he could hardly get up from his knees again when they had taken the invader down. If it corresponds to the official regulations that this incident goes to the ICC I don't see a reason to ridicule this move. If it needs the interference by the ICC to employ suitable personnel then be it.

CA apologising to the PCB is laughable at best. The idiot didn't attack the PCB but Khalid Latif, and apart from that, acting would be a much better response. I do not think that an alcohol ban, as suggested by the Pakistani sports minister, is a considerable solution here, simply because drinking is a part of cricket, that's a matter of fact. Also it can't be in anyone's interest to put up huge fences like in football, to separate the zombie hordes from the players. Cricket is thinking man's sport and women bring their knitting stuff to the matches and produce socks. I have seen it during the Ashes. And look at these beautiful grounds in New Zealand for instance, where the fans are sitting right at the rope. It would be a punishment of the vast majority of wonderful cricket fans to overreact like this. What can be done is simply to be more watchful and only employ personnel that has actually passed the aptitude test, instead of turning the spectator area into a high-security prison.

 -Line-

On the second matter, Afridi received the maximum punishment and two matches are absolutely BITTER for the Pakistanis, as T20 is their only hope to actually win a match currently. The penalty does not only hit Afridi, but the entire team gets fredded up the backside by it. Not hard enough?

Yes it is a scandal that Broad got away but I would definitely not want to blow into the same horn as Stani for instance, who suspects racism as the reason for these double standards. First of all what race is Afridi? Half milk choc latte macchiato with a hint of cinnamon* sort of person? ;) Secondly, Broad wouldn't have got punished either if he was orange, green or purple. You obviously think that his origin means it has to be racism because in Europe there is no safarshi system, but I am sorry to destroy your illusion on this, and if you look at the FIFA for instance you will bring your lunch back up, it is like Ancient Rome :D Apart from that Afridi has a history of dumbomumbo behaviour, so this will have influenced the decision additionally. They will also want to prevent a second Barbiegate.

Anyway
Bla.
Wes

*The guy will be linked to food forevermore.

12 comments:

Reverse Swing said...

Wes,

You just snatched my next post from me even the Subject of this post is identical, are you practicing some telepathy on me lolz. But its my fault as I am too lazy and busy that I didn't write it up in last two days but as I believe it always happen for better and exactly this has happened here.

You did it way better than me, I being angry and disappointed may have cross the line and may have carried away little bit but you did with perfect balance. Way to go Wes!

Wes said...

"even the Subject of this post is identical"

Haha *rofl*
Thanks mate. The original version was a lot harsher though. But sometimes it is better to rest it for minute and then look at it again with calm mind.

Sidthegnomenator said...

Cheers, Wes. I'm not commenting on my post again, just drawing a line beneath it as you say.

Christopher Poshin David said...

Hey,you have been blogrolled on Poshin's World.. one good turn deserves another?!

Rishabh said...

Great writing! The style is impressive!

Purna said...

Well written. I am guilty if laughing at the invader. Am I to be hanged?

Wes said...

No, Purna. I will have to think up something special for you har har B)

Rishabh said...

Yeah, Wes!
The contest begins on Saturday... I've blogrolled you too, btw!

Stani Army said...

Wes,
It wasn't just the Afridi situation I was alluding to. Also, if people that have played cricket and know more about it than me and you, say that it would have been different if a Pakitani player did what Broad did, then to suggest race has nothing to do with it is naive.

I'm not sure if you've ever experienced racism, but welcome to the real world. So, you don't have to blow down the same horn as me, but I guess you don't have to believe the truth if you don't want to either, because it does hurt.

Sid,
I've erased that line you drew, ha! You can't just not say anything. Argue your point.

Wes said...

Hello Stani, welcome aboard and thank you very much for your detailed reply. It is late but I would like to answer your points. A few things should be said beforehand though, please let's not judge each other's life experience by a couple of messages about computer-related problems. It causes emotional uproar, which leads to people not reading each other's arguments carefully enough anymore, and this obviously results in shouting and eventually in shooting. So let's try and stay cool on the matter, alright?

I think the misunderstanding has multiple layers here. First of all it becomes clear to me now that when you say racism you actually mean discrimination of players from certain nations; in this case Pakistan. Inhowfar has Afridi, or any other random Pakistani player, been discriminated against? Were there any cases in the history of cricket where they received a harsher punishment than appropriate? Or do you refer to racism in the sense of discriminating against everyone who is not snow-white? So, do you think that for instance Loots Bosman or Makhaya Ntini would have been punished inappropriately hard as well? And do you think that a white South African player or a New Zealander would have been spared the punishment in the same way as Broad? Or can we shrink the matter down to the feeling that only players from England and Australia get preferred? Because then it wouldn't be racism. If it really only concerns two nations, which is what I keep hearing often, then the reasons must be of a different nature.

The second is something more general, I think that the racism in the daily life, which you spoke about, the unwatched, hidden and unsanctioned racism, cannot be transferred directly to a level that is so exposed to the judging eye of the public like the ICC, i.e. the ICC cannot afford to be openly racist, neither players from India nor the Windies nor Bangladesh nor Sri Lanka, all of them popular and partly giant cricketting nations, are of blossomwhite skin colour.

And thirdly, I do not believe that the respective decisions are made by one single person, who coincidentally happens to be a racist and can wear this attitude that openly.

This is where I think that we are not looking at racism in the specific case of Broad but at safarshi system (and, in the case of Australia, if such a case exists, because you also brought Benn into play, it must be something Australia-related I cannot grasp yet). Broad was in my opinion a too large target and no one had the balls to treat him as he deserved.

I also think furthermore that the ICC was, mildly said, a bit shocked to see the emotional reactions on Broad's absolution.
I do also firmly believe there is reason and brain somewhere in the ICC and most of the officials were as surprised by the decision as anybody else, but it wasn't their business to utter themselves publically about it.

And very lastly, I do neither know nor have I read from any single person who does not like the Pakistani team or doesn't find the players amiable and nice (and Afridi dumb, but that is really a single case that sticks out. Has nothing to do with his origin). So why would it be any different in the higher levels of the cricket world?

I am looking forward to your reply, as said elsewhere, I am trying to learn daily and get better ;)

Cheers,
Wes

Stani Army said...

Wes,
Cool? I'd couldn't be any cooler....and alive. There is an old Greek saying "Those who the Gods destroyed, the first made angry". I am as cool as the come.

I'm not judging your life experiences, just saying that it's very difficult to spot something (and easy to put it down to something else), if you have not come face to face with it. You seem too innocent to accept that racism exists. This is not a bad thing (innocence), but it can lead you to be unaware of the harsh realities.

Discrimination is the umbrella term. Racism is a form of discrimination. There is racism in cricket; in denying that I'd be fooling myself. ASk Herschelle Gibbs, ask Harbhajan Singh, ask Dean Jones.

When I say racism, I mean racism. There is favouritism when it comes to different nations but that is another story. I'm talking specifically about racism. That word that scares people so they ignore it. Because people couldn't be that bad could they? The world is a wonderful place where Brad Haddin and Sulimen Benn meet in the middle of the wicket and Haddin says "after you sir", to which Benn replies, "No please, after you".

1) "in how far has Afridi, or any other random Pakistani player been discriminated against? Were there any cases in history where they received harsher punishment than appropriate?...."

2)"And thirdly, I do not believe that the respective decisions are made by one single person..."

Racism can be direct or in direct. Also if a a coloured player receives the right punishment and a white player does not; this CAN still be racist (for the purposes of my point). In quote 1), you miss these two points. And quote 2) it doesnt have to be the same person making the decision for it to constitute racism.


"so why would it be any different in the higher levels of the cricket world?" It's a lovely thought, but I reiterate, the world is not this wonderful.

And don't worry, I always read arguments carefully....especially when I'm defending morality; because I do love honesty and truth.

Take care.

p.s, this will be my last comment by the way because this blogger form is stupid; it's too difficult for me to comment. Not your fault.

Wes said...

Hello Stani, thank you very much for your detailed explanations, I will then try to be more watchful than wishful. Keep visiting,
Cheers
Wes ;)