2 June 2010

A Heart For Losers...

Groundhog Day #857

Sussex v Somerset (FP T20)
[scorecard]

Luke Wright on the way to his sandbox  (c) Getty Images
Once again I've started to support a team that considers a cringefest a good introduction to a new follower, and apparently has a total of three batsmen available, out of who, on top of that, the second runs out the third. In English: they've hit my soft spot with a sledgehammer. Any attempt to resist the bundled might of Tragic Trescothick, who I will always prefer over Ramprakash, in case you can follow my mazed line of associations; Keepwetter, that lusty fruit with running issues -a flaw that makes you pull your face long but is strangely also heaps likeable, hope his keeping takes him past Boppy/Owy though-; and the flabbergastingly gutsy display of 19-year old Jos Buttler will prove futile.

Somerset are furthermore joined by Kieron Pollard, who, if you remember, will forever carry the mark of the Redbacks on his forehead and is good with dogs, and Cameron White, the mother of all current Australian "The Man"s and bear of bears. Hence I'm really looking forward to following the men in black with the silly looking berry-yoghurt-gummy-coloured helmets (on the one hand I feel that black helmets would match a lot better, on the other hand, that might just be the German in me speaking), which will most likely curse them for all eternity but I can't help it. The intense odour of Langer is lingering around them and sort of glues the whole package together.

And please, picture this: Kieswetter and White ganging up to hammer 150 off 70 ^^

Indeed all my favourite teams have made utterly good acquisitions for the T20, Middlesex grabbing Gilly and Warner, who is among my favourite players anyway and will either fail or fire, and Glamorgan reuniting Tait and Cosgrove in an eye-watering, romantic ceremony with plenty of doves, roses, regret and renewed love vows. Ahhhh.




Too much England on this blog

11 comments:

Sidthegnomenator said...

Way too much England on this blog, Wes. Or way too much Southern england anyway.

That moment when Wright's bat fell apart was just unbelievable. Never seen anything like that before.

Wes said...

Oh Sid :( But the South of Pomland has always been a bit closer to me, personally... I am trying to compensate the lack of a Dorset team. Hey but what about Glamorgan, is that close enough to you? :P Sorry but Lancs is sooo out of the questions, it doesn't get any outer.

half-tracker said...

Nooooo Wes you must support Hampshire - we have a Pakistani and a guy who lost out on a contract with WA.

Wes said...

HT I cannot. Hants is Satan's playground. You might have thought that if you put a light, inconspicuous pic of him right next to Mendis I would not notice his presence and just scroll further down. I did! But I smell him 100 miles against the wind. And that reek was pungent! Sorry mate *g*

Who's that not-WA guy?

Sidthegnomenator said...

I'm curious about the not WA guy as well!

And Wes, I'll get you converted yet. I know it's a Flintoff thing ...

Wes said...

Arghh the F-word!!!! That's like the K-word on your blog!!! Arghhh Sid what have you done!!!

half-tracker said...

Ah, sorry about the late reply, it was Sean Ervine who was told he was no longer needed by WA a few years ago :(

Still, WA's loss is Hampshire's gain (he says, as he looks at WA's squad including the Marsh brothers, Mussey, North etc etc...)

half-tracker said...

Wes, I am intrigued to know what the K word is...

Wes said...

The K-word cannot be outspoken, neither at Sid's nor here, as these two blogs are sancta of the "Nathan Hauritz Is God" cult. Even if I tell you in a neutral place, I will have to atone forever. Posting a link would be a cheeky way around it and I am not sure if this wouldn't even compound the blasphemy. I'm willing to risk it though and suggest your place as a neutral venue, as in case the Ritzfist comes crushing down on us and destroys everything my own blog will at least be unaffected. Howzat! :D

half-tracker said...

Is it Krejza?

Wes said...

AAAAAAHHHHHHHHhhhhhhhhhhh....